Saturday, November 7, 2009

PERSONAL SONG STUDY: Killing Me Softly

What a haunting song this is by Roberta Flack and so gracefully sung. As a teenager I wasn't very fond of this song. But is a song that once heard is stuck within your heart somewhere. The hurt and pain and emotion runs so deep. I know I have mentioned this song previously but I have taken on commiting it to memory. CRAZY DAWG (0)==:: [or is it ::==(0)] has put together a sodoku finger puzzle tablature that I find graceful yet easy enough for my fingers. I have been using my focused music study much like a meditation. To sharpen and focus the mind, the fingers and the ears.
.

.
In my meditation / practice I am using my best recollection of Hiram Bell's training when learning a new song. Play is slowly and correctly. Memorize a the first bar, play it accurately and go as slow as possible to keep it accurate. Visualize those finger / chord movements. Do it successfully without looking 3 times. Then add bar 2 or a couple more notes. Start from the beginning and go slowly learn it correctly. It takes more time and headache if you learn it wrong -- reinforce the correct tune / correct muscle memory. Close your eyes and feel it.
.
In Crazy Dawg's arrangement the measures aren't marked out so I use the phrases of the song as markers. Certain parts of the song have distinct finger movements in groups of 4 or 5 and it makes sense to remember these groupings. And perhaps the 2 notes prior and subsequent to piece it into your memory banks.
.
Here's another YT video of Roberta with words to sing along with...



Here's Crazy Dawg's link to the fingerstyle arrangement (Thank you Crazy Dawg, have I mentioned you enough in this post? Actually, I've never made contact with him. If you know him let him know about this post, perhaps he'll give me a Yo Howdy or a Guten Tag.)
.
Here's a CHORDIE arrangement in Dm. (I haven't fully studied it yet but I'm keeping it here as a record.)...
.

No comments:

Post a Comment