Monday, October 12, 2009

The BELOVED GEORGE FORMBY

--: Formby :--
.
George Formby Jr. (1904-1961) partial Wiki
.
Formby endeared himself to his audiences with his cheeky Lancashire humour and folksy North of England persona. In film and on stage, he generally adopted the character of an honest, good-hearted but accident-prone innocent who used the phrases: "It's turned out nice again!" as an opening line; "Ooh, mother!" when escaping from trouble; and a timid "Never touched me!" after losing a fistfight.
.
What made him stand out, however, was his unique and often mimicked musical style. He sang comic songs, full of double entendre, to his own accompaniment on the banjolele, for which he developed a catchy musical syncopated style that became his trademark.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comments on my blog. Any help and encouragement is welcomed. I love your blog. So far I've found it to be a wonderful resource. Keep it going strong. Oh and I love Formby. He's got such a uplifting style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peculiar article, exactly what I needed.

    my web-site ... Best songs To play on Ukulele

    ReplyDelete