Thursday, May 6, 2010

BLUE SHOES || Peggy Reza & Douglas Johnson

I first saw Blue Shoes: Peggy Reza & Douglas Johnson perform at the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz a couple of years ago. They played ukulele and harmonica with high energy and Peg's powerful voice. I bought their album Blue Bamboo which has a beautiful mermaid playing a ukulele as part of the cover art by Peggy. I believe they have 4-5 albums.
.
Wendy and I have taken a few vacations up at the Wyndham Worldmark Resort in Angels Camp, CA. About two years ago we went investigating the old downtowns of Sonora, Angels Camp, and Murphys. In Sonora there's a music store that I meandered into and found a Hawaiian-decorated-corner of the store dedicated to Peggy's ukuleles for sale, including some custom painted models. She also created some pocket-sized songbooks and carried (Santa Cruz artists) Ukulele Dick's and Michelle Kiba's CD's.

I tried to contact Peg and find out if Blue Shoes was going to be performing while I was up in Angels Camp for a few days. But I didn't make contact until I was back in the S.F. Bay Area. I asked Peggy for a picture to share in this post and she gave me the wonderful one here... (click to enlarge this is a great uke fan photo!)

.

Peggy (center front), Douglas (red beard)

& the "The Blue Shoes Auxiliary Ukulele Orchestra of Columbia!"

(Click the photo to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment