Saturday, May 8, 2010

Andy & Pam Andrews are surely barefoot on the beaches of Hawaii...

About three years ago, Andy Andrews invited me to come over to his home to take a look at his ukulele room before the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz meeting. I was eager to see his ukulele collection and to play some of his Martin ukuleles. I asked him if it would be okay to take some pictures and as always he welcomed me to enjoy as I wished, while he prepared some club work on his computer before the meeting.


Have you ever been in a room full of ukuleles? Covering all four walls as completely as possible. Andy welcomed me to try any of the ukuleles and I was really enamored with Martin ukuleles at the time, so I played a few while sitting in the center of the room.


Well, all of the instruments resonate and vibrate, as vibrations are released from the played instrument. It is a very good feeling. Strange, perhaps these subtle vibrations also resonate our bodies and make us feel more peaceful.


Andy and Pam are now in their Hawaiian Island home. During my ukulele room visit, Andy showed me a stick-model of his future home. It was complete with a ukulele outside above the front door. I had taken a picture of it but I can't find it now. They had a strong dream and they worked to make it come true.

The ukulele club was about music and fun. Andy and Pam were frequently dancing of in the corner behind the entertainer's dining table. Pam would also join in the Hula Dancing when Hawaiian tunes were played.


Did you notice these ukulele pictures? Quite a collection. Andy said that there were about 200. But that wasn't all. There were several books of sheet music in plastic sleeves. Piles of photos and uke collectibles everywhere. He also told me there where other collectors in Santa Cruz with 200 and 300 ukuleles.


The ukulele at the lower right has a body shaped like an island -- Can't remember if it was of the Big Island of Hawaii or not.

He had quite a collection. I believe many of these are now sold or part of a collection for a ukulele museum somewhere. Look at those swirls of color on those plastic ukes. A black Dominoe uke, a Victory uke, and several Harmony ukes among many other makers.
I want to close by saying thank you to Andy and Pam for letting me be a part of their uke family.

No comments:

Post a Comment