Friday, August 7, 2009

Tony Graziano Bamboo Ukulele

So, I always drive to Santa Cruz early, for band practice with the Uklectics, because I want to miss the commuter traffic through the Santa Cruz mountains. It gives me a chance to sit down at a large table at Tony & Alba's Pizza Parlour on Soquel and spread out my drawings for work or study. I had just received revised plans for a home in San Francisco near the S.F. Giants baseball park and I needed to study them and create a list of concerns I had about the constructability of the new design. Long story, but I'll spare you the details. While there I alway check out the Goodwill bookstore, S.C. is a university town and the selection of used books there is phenominal.
--
I then drove over to Frederick Street to Pete's for the garage band practice but I was so early that I sat in my car for over an hour in cool tree shaded area next to a large park. Listened to quick bits of Metropolitan Klezmer, A Brazilian Style Chamber Music Group, and another female Brazilian Singer. After about an hour I see Tony Graziano, the Santa Cruz areas favorite ukulele maker, and call out his name. He was walking his dog at the park next to the Harbor parallel to Frederick Street. Tony had been building ukes earlier in the day and then went surfing.
--
From my blog statistics counter, have noticed a lot of internet traffic looking at Mike DaSilva's bamboo ukulele and the man doing a yogic balance post with one hand bearing on the ukulele. I remember the first Bamboo ukulele I ever saw was about 5 years ago at the Northern California Ukulele Festival in Hayward, CA. It was a beautiful blonde tenor bamboo ukulele made by Tony Graziano. It is the picture at the top of this post and can also be found here...
--
--

No comments:

Post a Comment