Friday, July 10, 2009

Ukulele Connoisseur Terry C. writes from Bali

--
Something fun about having shared interests in the internet age is that you can make friends all over the world. Terry C. and I met as adversaries on eBay where we were both collecting pictures of ukulele players. I used eBay's e-mail system and asked Terry if we could trade some pictures. I supposed we have communicated more or less regularly over about 2 years. Terry loves his Martin ukuleles and I have been privy to some private unwrapping videos for his 4 string treasures. You can see several of Terry C's excellent ukulele photos and videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/BeareTube
--
--
I just received a wonderful letter from him. He and his wife are Australian and did their summer trip to Bali. Here's a tidbit from his letter which discusses a bit about American society: unexplainable and great...
--
"Met lots of fellow travellers from all parts of the globe, including an American guy from LA who works as an 'Entertainment Lawyer' to the Hollywoodstars. He told us that Cheech & Chong are personal friends of his ... ... He also mentioned that no animals are allowed to be hurt or injured in any movies made in the US. This includes spiders,cockroaches and ants! He told us of a movie recently that required a victim to be covered with ants. Apparently, all the ants had to be counted before and after the shoot to make sure none were injured or killed. Imagine the litigation if an ant never made it back! They'd have to send out a searchparty. "He's a little guy, black and about three millimeters tall. Goes by the name of Harvey. You seen him?" Ain't America wonderful? The USA! Home of Martin ukuleles and the Ant Protection Society. I just love it! Actually, as a vegetarian I think this is a move in the right direction but I admit it's kinda bizarre. But thereya go."
--
Thanks Terry for sharing a little about your vacation with all of us. I love the photos of ukuleles in Balinesian paradise. I wish Wendy and I coulda been there with you and Julie. And we could be strummin' away. If you two ever want to come to the SF Bay Area I have room that you're welcome to. You'd feel right a home, it's my ukulele room!
--
HU

No comments:

Post a Comment