Saturday, March 7, 2009

Who is this ukulele player?

Photo of YouTube Strummer Julia Nunes!
[Julia is not the question or the answer!
I just have a picture here because I liked the pic.]


I have joined the Ukulele Social Club ning at http://ukulelesocialclub.ning.com/. I think that you may find something of interest there. Check it out!

I came across an article saved by another ukulele junkie about a famous ukulele player. Here are several quotes from this very well known player. Take a guess who it is and leave a comment... I'll let you know later.

“Some people may tell you the ukulele is easy to play, but don’t you believe them. Like most instruments, it’s easy to play badly and hard to play well.”

“The first thing I recognized was that playing the uke was not as easy as everyone had said it was. It was downright difficult. “

“The second thing I noticed, after fumbling around for half an hour, was that I had absolutely no talent.”

“My musical ability seemed to evolve at a geologic clip characterized by long periods of stasis punctuated with sudden forward lurches.” (Now this sounds like Steven Strauss to me, but it is not. Take another guess.)

“What is important is that I never gave up on the ukulele, or myself. If I had, I never would have discovered my aptitude for playing. That discovery—an epiphany, really—was a big relief. Those things you hear when you’re a kid, like “slow and steady wins the race” and “good things come to those who wait” and “talent is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration” have been revealed to me in my life in unexpected ways, involving ukuleles”.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. The apostrophe before ukulele suggests it's someone academic who has a lot of uke history knowledge. John King?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alistair -- you're just too good! I had a conversation with Honey of the famous safari couple and she told me that her teachers in Japan said she was not musical. It is amazing how the very talented also have their humble beginnings and self doubts. Did you ever get JK Duets and Solos book? I really like the Aloha Quickstep. Yes it is John King.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I removed the tell tale "'ukuleles"

    ReplyDelete