Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ukulele Internet Radio - UKEFARM


Where can you hear Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Janet Seidel, Bruce Shimabukuro, Boulder Accoustic Society, Dan Soybean Sawyer, Bill Tapia, Lil' Rev., Victoria Vox, Craig Robertson, the Langley Ukulele Ensemble, Ukulele Eck and the Fabulous Lacklusters (Girl from Oklahoma), Clif, Gerald Ross, Janet Klein, James Hill, Jim Beloff, Jake Shimabukuro, Brook Adams, Kimo Hussey, Lyle Ritz and our local favorite: Steven Strauss?

I have my own business and work from my home. It's a very short walk to my office where I work as a Structural Steel and Miscellaneous Metals draftsman. What is that? Whenever I fill out applications they never know where to put me. Sometimes I'll be in Construction and others I'm an Architect. I have a B.S. in mathematics and a minor in statistics. I have worked in the steel industry as a draftsman, chief draftsman, estimator, project manager, senior project manager. But after 9 years, I was layed-off, with many others about 6 years ago, and decided it was time to give it a go on my own.

I miss working as a project manager on such projects as: S.F. Museum of Modern Art, Yerba Buena Gardens Children's Center on top of Moscone Center, No. Concord Martinez BART Station, West Pittburg BART Station, St. Mary's College Performing Arts Theater, and several other lesser known projects. I worked for Romak Iron Works during this time and they treated me exceptionally well while I was there.

Well, what I actually do is study Architectural, Structural, and Landscape design drawings and make erection and fabrication drawings for a few select Bay Area fabricators. I draw beams, columns, stairs, handrails, gates, glass handrails with brass handrail caps, ladders, and a boat? Kind of a boat, there is a black iron sculpture across the street from the SF MOMA that is clad with green glass that I drew.

Oh, I feel like Garrison Keillor, starting with a point in mind and making a complete tale before getting to the point... while I work sometimes I like to have some smooth ukulele music in the background. So I go to http://www.live365.com/ and play my favorite station "Ukefarm Radio"

It's really fun to hear those ukulele players that I've had the opportunity to meet at Mike DaSilva's studio or at the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz. Steven Strauss, who is the musical conscience, of our Berkeley Ukulele Club has a few songs from his excellent UkeBox album so I always get a kick when I hear his unique and sweet ukulele playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment